The Benefits of ABPCO Membership
Being an APBCO member offers you the invaluable opportunity to engage, share and learn professional views with fellow PCO members by working to enhance the status of our profession and achieve greater public recognition. You can benefit from our participation in trade shows such as Confex and other professional events. Each ABPCO member is also profiled on the ABPCO web-site, with contact details, and links to your web-site and twitter feeds.
Ongoing education plays an integral part of our yearly communication campaign, where members can participate in seminars, meetings and conventions where subjects of common interest to our industry are discussed. High profile Guest speakers are regularly invited to give presentations on leading edge products, best practice and the latest technology trends. ABPCO offers you the perfect environment for business networking.
Don’t let your event be ruined by the unexpected
- the Hiscox top ten risk management tips for event organisers
If you’re planning an event, whether it’s a small private celebration or a big conference, preparing for the unexpected is critical. To help you plan for every eventuality, Hiscox has compiled its top ten risk management tips for event organisers.
1. Plan early - For a large event this should be a formal written exercise. For a smaller event it could just be a case of asking yourself ‘what could go wrong?’
2. Write it down - Written evidence of thorough risk management procedures will help defend you against legal claims.
3. Have a crisis management/disaster recovery plan - This should cover any problems that may occur prior to, or during, the event.
4. Read the venue contract small print - Venues often specify a limit of indemnity for public liability.
5. Check your subcontractors have their own public liability insurance -Uninsured subcontractors can increase the chance of the organiser facing a claim if someone is injured.
6. Volunteers have rights too - They will need to be covered by an employers’ liability insurance policy. Employers’ liability cover is mandatory in the UK if you employ staff.
7. Consider cancellation or curtailment insurance - The best time to arrange cover is immediately after booking the venue.
8. Protect third-party events from non-refundable fees - Ask your client if they want to insure against cancellation as your terms of business may state that your fees are non-refundable if the event is cancelled.
9. Getting there and away - Consider the transportation issues that could stop attendees coming to the event.
10. Talking to the press - If something goes badly wrong, communication with the media to protect the ‘brand’ of your event is an important consideration.
For more details, or to get a quote for Hiscox Event Insurance, contact:
Marion Rankin – Appointed Representative
Martin Linfield ACII
Or buy online at: hiscox.co.uk/events/mrankin
The Partnership represents all the leading trade and professional associations within the Business Visits and Events sector as well as Government agencies with a vested interest in the industry; provides one representative voice for the industry; promotes the benefits of Business Visits and Events to Government at a National and Local level; seeks to influence policies and strategy that supports and drives the sector and uses key influencers to engage and deliver a compelling message and act as ambassadors for the sector.
Further benefits of Membership
We hold a number of networking events throughout the year, some of which are exclusive to our members. For example in 2012 we delivered the following:
- January – Silver anniversary conference, at the Barbican, London
- March – Confex seminar
- July – TechNO-phobia at the ICC, Birmingham
- September – Dedicated in-house PCO event at Wellcome Trust, London
- October – Chairman’s lunch – Royal College of Physicians, London
- November – TechNOphobia, Wokefield Park, Reading
All members also have the opportunity to host or contribute to ABPCO events & to create bespoke ABPCO showcases such as Familiarisation Trips
Discounts and Resources
Members also have access to our online resource area for templates, research and information. We have templates on bidding for events, site inspection guides and Tendering.