Welcome to ABPCO
ABPCO is the leading UK organisation for conference and event organisers working to deliver not-for-profit and association conferences, their industry associates and those studying for, or seeking, a career in the Association Conference and Meetings Industry.
The Association of British Professional Conference Organisers Limited (ABPCO) was founded in 1981 and incorporated as a company limited by guarantee in 1987.
ABPCO is dedicated to helping individuals and organisations bring a strong sense of professionalism to their working practice by harnessing and sharing their collective skills, knowledge and experience in the meetings industry.
Our key objective is to facilitate, advise, mentor and offer guidance to those seeking the essential quality standards required to deliver a professional event.
ABPCO is one of very few UK conference and event industry associations to select Full and Associate Members based on peer assessment. This means that clients and suppliers can expect ABPCO Members to deliver business and ethical standards in the management of national and international association and corporate conferences, seminars, meetings, exhibitions and other events.
ABPCO is mindful of the pivotal role that destinations, venues, CVB’s and suppliers deliver within the events package and therefore also offers Corporate Membership to these organisations.
ABPCO (Association of British Professional Conference Organisers) represents the interests of professional conference organisers, suppliers, associates and destination members across Great Britain. PCO members alone spend an estimated £58 million on venues and supplies and must be able to clearly demonstrate the skills, knowledge and experience required to plan and organise major UK and international conferences.
ABPCO Customer Promise
Promoting Excellence in Association Conferences and Events
Creating the standard for association event management best practice, worldwide
ABPCO Mission Statement
ABPCO’s mission is to develop and enhance the professional status of conference and event organisers and increase the recognition given to its members and to ABPCO as the leading representatives of the profession in the British Isles.
ABPCO’s strategic aims are to:
- Position ABPCO as the leading body representing the interests of Professional Conference and Event Organisers and increase its profile and recognition thereby raising the volume and value of business being won by its members.
- To constantly develop and enhance the benefits it provides to ABPCO members, who offer conference and event management services to clients, by creating opportunities for networking and by encouraging its members to achieve the highest possible standards of excellence
- To raise standards of professionalism across the meetings industry through the provision of education, training and personal development opportunities
- To ensure the UK meetings industry is able to compete on the world-stage through collaboration with other UK associations and national bodies (e.g. MPI, BVEP, Institute of Event Management, People 1st).
Accordingly, ABPCO must be recognised as;
- An association with only the highest quality standards as recognised by its members, potential members and competitors.
- Committed to continuous improvement of the association and its members through exceeding customer expectation.
- A trusted and informed voice within the conferencing and events industry.
To achieve the mission, ABPCO members work to an ABPCO agreed Code of Practice, defining the obligations of a Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) and his/her relations with clients.
5 key pillars for 2016-2017
To raise standards of professionalism in association conference and event organisation through the provision and signposting of education, training and peer group knowledge sharing programmes.
Accreditation & Membership
Achieve a membership balance of agency and in house association conference organisers and maintain the peer review process to ensure the integrity of the code of conduct
External voice / profile
To create a focused positive external voice for the benefit of the membership in a way that builds the ABPCO brand
Partner with Universities to source and disseminate original research and content to members
To ensure ongoing effective communication with members to maximise their perceived membership value.
Management of ABPCO
ABPCO is managed by Association Management Consultants, Association Director Heather Lishman. The activities of the Association are overseen and directed, on behalf of the members, by an Executive Committee.